Consumers can protect themselves from telemarketing fraud by:
- Be suspicious of anyone calling your home or office promising prizes and awards if you agree to participate in their promotion. Most often, those prizes don’t exist.
- Never give your credit card or bank account number to a stranger calling you on the telephone.
- Never agree to purchase products sight unseen.
- Don’t be pressured into participating by claims that “today is the last day of promotion,” or “you must act now or you will lose out.” This is usually just a ploy to get you to buy.
- Any commercial telephone seller must allow a purchaser to cancel within three days after the purchaser's receipt of the goods, services or property. You must deliver or send written notice and return any goods.
If you believe you have received a fraudulent call or wish to report telemarketing fraud, file a report with the Colorado No Call Registry and the Federal Do Not Call.