Resource Guide | Attorney General - State of Colorado
Topicsort descending Category
Senior Resources Senior Resources

The AARP Foundation ElderWatch grew out of a 1999 study published by the Colorado Attorney General’s Office, Respecting Our Elders: A Statewide Action Plan to Combat Senior Fraud. Among the report’s recommendations was the establishment of a statewide clearinghouse of information set up as a nonprofit agency, to coordinate efforts in both the public and private sectors.

AARP Foundation ElderWatch provides information to and coordinates efforts by law enforcement agencies, social services and other organizations assisting 50+ Coloradans. The ElderWatch program engages roughly 180 volunteers each year, who provide information and assistance to their peers, and consists of three main components:

  • The ElderWatch Hotline: 1-800-222-4444 Telephone Option 2 is a toll-free information and referral service that 50+ consumers, caregivers or professionals can call to report fraud and learn more about scams. Volunteers staff the hotline from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. MT, Monday–Friday, and the hotline has received more than 21,000 calls since the program’s inception.
  • Fraud Fighter Call Center: an outbound calling center that reaches out to older people throughout the country to teach them how to recognize, refuse and report scams.
  • Field Fraud Fighter Program: a series of consumer protection presentations and community events, delivered by volunteers and staff, to help protect 50+ consumers.

Through these efforts, AARP Foundation ElderWatch is uniquely positioned to provide information and assistance to older Coloradans and to collect data pertaining to financial exploitation from the front lines. This allows for the creation and dissemination of scam alerts and tips to help proactively educate 50+ consumers about the dangers of financial exploitation.

You may wish to contact AARP Foundation ElderWatch for assistance by calling 1-800-222-4444 telephone option 2.

For additional resources, see also the "Senior Fraud Center" within this site. 

If you desire a legal opinion or representation relating to your specific situation, we recommend contacting a private attorney or one of the services that provide legal assistance through the local bar association and/or other legal entities.